Monday 4 April 2011

Back to Basics

So, I'm exploring a new direction in working with paper and to begin this process, I've been playing with paper today which is really fun because I don't have to be neat or worry about messing it up. Play time is such a healthy thing after working on intense projects with strict deadlines and preplanned final outcomes. Sounds a bit childish, but that's what inspires creativity, keeps me interested in my chosen medium and stops my work from getting dull. I'll be doing this all week as I only have one lesson left before Easter. I've started with some simple pop up try-outs which are so simple and fun to do. But something I really want to work on this week is getting a more rounded edge on paper cuts. For example, if you look at the work of Jeff Nishinaka (Here's a link to his site as I'm not sure I'm allowed to post images of his work. http://www.jeffnishinaka.com/) he has a very smooth looking finish. I've tried scoring and bending and using a small roller but can't seem to work it out. So if anyone has any ideas please let me know. Many thanks =)

3 comments:

  1. This youtube clip should answer your questions. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDdI1aNMBto

    from what I watched the way he achieves his look is to use decreasing sizes of paper glued on top of each other to create a 3d rounded edge piece of paper art.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the video and your comment but I think I meant the edges of the papercuts he uses, they're bent to have rounded edges and look smooth. Maybe it is the way he sticks them down. Until I saw this video, I didn't realise his pieces were so large, I'm not sure why this didn't occur to me. But I love watching process videos =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He reduces the sizes of each piece of paper by such a small amount each time that it creates a gradual curve to the edge when he sticks them together. There are a few of his videos on the you tube site.

    ReplyDelete