Sunday 22 May 2011

It's time...

So, because I mainly focus on my illustration modules and only post work from those here, I thought it was time to show you my media practice work. This is a painting module and whilst my illustration tutors hate it and think that I can't paint to save my life, my painting tutor loves them and thinks I'm awesome. So.. mixed reviews really. So here we go. Started with some still lifes...



Then I started illustrating a book that i've been reading, which is 'Bright Shiny Morning' by James Frey. It's a book about a series of characters whose lives revolve around LA, their stories interchange from chapter to chapter and sometimes cross paths, these are interspersed with one-time characters stories that are sometimes only a page long. I came up with the idea of expressing the main character's stories through hands and painting my own hand and then painted a painting of my hand.. if that makes sense.


As these weren't so successful, I chose to use the positioning of the hands as my emphasis. So here are my last ones.



So there we go. I used acrylics for all of them and if I've taken anything away from my painting experience, it's my skills regarding the use of negative space. I also quite like my use of colour, particularly in the still lifes at the top. Really hoping that I'll pass this module so that I don't have to redo it over the summer.

Hope you've enjoyed =) xx

3 comments:

  1. I really Like the first two pictures. Your painting seems to favour the slightly abstracts topics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you =) I try to use weird lighting to give a more abstract feel, the first done were done under one of those little reading lights that attach to books, and the rest by candle light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey thanks and good still lives here.

    ReplyDelete