Tuesday 16 August 2011

Final Major Project

As I said in my last post, my Final Major Project this year is going to be based around animal conservation. Specifically, a conservation group called Edge. I will now be producing a series of sketches that I'm using as paper-cutting plans for when I get back to uni. I've got 25 to do and not that much time to do them, so I've been trying quite hard recently to crack on. 

This is the first one, I intended it to show that Edge focuses on animals of evolutionary distinction, meaning that they represent a unique part of the gene pool. So I expanded on the idea of the family (/evolution) tree to contrast between the elaborate branch (of evolutionary distinction) and the similar branches opposite.
The second plan I've done is for one of Edge's campaigns to aid the Horton Plains Slender Loris, a really strange, but cool looking animal. Their campaign focuses on gaining funding to reconnect the forested areas. You can read about it here please help if you can, spread the message. Based on this idea, I made the Slender Loris out of connecting leaves and vines. Wondering whether to cut this from green paper. 
This last one, I did last night. It features Pygmy Three-Toed Sloth, Black-Spotted Cus Cus and Chinese Pangolin. I used these mammals from the top 100 list of mammals to show another criteria for the animals on the EDGE programme, which is Globally Endangered, or the animals' GE score, which determines how vulnerable an animal is. Really don't like how the sloth turned out. It looks more like a creepy, hairy human than anything else.


No comments:

Post a Comment